Friday, October 29, 2010

The Interrogation of Claude Bouchard.

Have I got a treat for y'all today -Please welcome Claude Bouchard to our interrogation series. 

Good afternoon, Claude  –  I hope you’re comfortable. Don’t concern yourself with the wires hanging from that old light fixture. We’re remodeling. Mind the puddles; we don’t want any nasty accidents.

Thanks, Cat. No worries, I’ve got my billy boots on.

What’s your favorite type of takeaway? - No brainer – Dominos Philly Cheese Steak pizza, usually ordered on “Two for Tuesday”.
Describe your current mental status. - Brilliantly chaotic. You know, the usual. My mind is always racing and thinking of stuff; ideas, clever humour, the past, present and future. It does usually take a break when I sleep.
How much of you is in your main character Captain Dave McCall? - I actually have two main characters, one being Dave McCall and the other being Chris Barry. Both are determined, good looking, intelligent and witty men so I’d say that there is a lot of me in them.
Do you have a favorite coffee? - Absolutely! The first cup in the morning is my favourite coffee.

Where did the concept for your latest book come from? - I always find that a difficult question to answer because invariably, it boils down to, “from my head”. My latest book, actually still a work in progress, tentatively entitled “6 Hours 42 Minutes” is the fifth in my Barry/McCall series and the story unfolds in the time dictated by the title. If it ends up being a shorter time span, I’ll re-title it. I was looking to write something that is really fast-paced and decided that I could really make things move by having my story all take place within a short time period.
Wine, beer, or spirits? – Yes, please… Wine, both red and white, beer on occasion and both white and amber rum with Coke or ginger ale.

Walk us through a typical day. (Do you make sure you’re wearing your lucky underpants before you sit down to write, or perhaps you prefer commando? While we’re discussing your underpants, budgie smuggles or boxers… inquiring minds want to know.) – Let’s get the important things settled first. Boxers. As for my typical day, I recently wrote a piece as a guest blogger for a friend entitled “An Aspiring Author” which is now posted on the “Short Stories” page of my website ( http://bigceebee.webs.com/shortstories.htm ) which describes my typical day in fine detail. To summarize, my day consists of promoting the hell out of myself in any way that I can think of and writing in parallel when I have a project going. By the way, I’m usually wearing Cardin or Docker comfort pants and a t-shirt when this all takes place.

Do you ever see yourself writing a vampire story? (Team Edward or Team Jacob… or are you more likely to join me by stuffing your head into a gas oven than ever going to the Edward or Jacob place?) – I don’t have a gas oven but we do have a slow-combustion wood stove which could be just as effective though more painful. I trust this fully answers your question. J
Who would you turn gay for, or alternately who would you turn straight for? – If I woke up one morning and realized that I had turned into a female overnight, I’d turn gay for Joanne, my wife, because we do have a lot of fun together. I’d then go back to being straight once my genes, chromosomes and other funky bits re-aligned the way they were previously.
Who are your favorite writers? - In no particular order, Lee Child, James Patterson, Jeffery Deaver, Michael Connelly, Ken Follett, Robert Crais, Dennis Lehane - tell me when to stop. In the not-yet-famous category, I like to also mention John Locke and Luke Romyn as I’ve read all of their available work and truly believe that these boys have a definite future as successful authors.

Who inspires you to do better? - Honestly, I do. I’m extremely demanding of myself and if something is not  good enough I come down on myself very harshly. It’s not pretty. 
Do you ever put pants on your dog? – We don’t have a dog but we do have two cats if that all the same to you. We tried to get them to wear pants for a while but it was just too much of a hassle when they needed to use the litter box so we now let them go “au naturel”. I really have no objection because they’re both female.
Describe your ultimate day? – My ultimate day is when my agent calls me and says, “You won’t believe it but you have yet another million dollar book deal!” I’m waiting for that day.
Who is your favorite fictitious villain? Or are you all about the hero? Who do you love to hate? – I’m particularly fond of both Wile E. Coyote and Sylvester. Yosemite Sam is pretty cool too.

Do you have any quirks? – I wouldn’t say that I’m a neat freak but I do like things to be in their place. That way, I know where they are when I need them.
Gun or knife? – Both, depending on the mood and circumstances. Improvisation with what’s at hand is also something I’m toying with in my current work.
All time favorite movie and why? – I’m going to cheat here and if you decide to scold me, so be it. I can’t just name one and the three I’ll name are among many other great movies because choosing one all time favourite movie is impossible. I’ve always enjoyed gangster movies and “Scarface” with Pacino was excellent for its raw realism. ‘The Sixth Sense” wins a spot for its kick in the pants ending and “Being There” with Peter Sellers is one of the most intelligent comedies I’ve ever seen. So there, scold me.
What’s your preferred medium when it comes to writing – pen and paper, computer, typewriter. Definitely the computer. I’d never see myself writing out a novel long-hand to then have to type it all up.  

How did you enjoy the editing process? – I personally enjoy editing which I know many people don’t. My writing must flow and my stories must hold together and editing is the way to achieve both requirements.
If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? – That’s hard to say for sure but I’ve been to California a number of times and I just love it down there.
What is one thing you know about New Zealand?  (Do not mention LOTR. I mean seriously if that’s all we’re known for then as a country we’re in deep hobbit crap.)New Zealand produces excellent lamb and Orcs.

What’s the worst book you have ever read? – I don’t know if this qualifies because the most I’ve ever read of it is forty pages – “A Perfect Spy” by John Le CarrĂ© - boring. If it has to be a book that I read completely, it would be James Patterson’s first novel, “The Thomas Berryman Number”. Luckily, I read that after having read many other good Patterson novels.
Name a book you wish you had written. – Two, in fact; Ken Follett’s “Pillars of the Earth” and “World without End”. Both are absolutely fascinating.
How many novels have you written, both published and unpublished? – I’ve written four novels starting with “Vigilante” in my Barry/McCall series which are currently self-published while my agent does her thing. I have a first draft of “Asylum”, not of the series, which is waiting for some revision and expansion and I’m currently writing # 5 of the series. All that said, six.

What were you before you became a writer? – My background and studies were in management, particularly human resources and I held a handful of management positions in H.R. and finance in my prior life.
What can we expect from you next? – “Asylum” and “6 Hours 42 Minutes” but only when they’re good and ready.
Do you carry a notebook or keep one by the bed for those sudden brilliant ideas? – I keep a pad of paper on the dining room table and have been thinking of getting a digital recorder that I could just blurb my crap in.

What is the most random thing you have ever written with and on? – I once wrote a recipe on a slice of white bread using peanut butter and then I ate it.
If you’re not writing, what are you most likely to be doing? – Either reading or playing guitar, that is if I’m not practicing self-promo-ism on Twitter.

Well that was fun. Just hold still a minute Claude while I move those wires... you were fabulously cooperative. :)

You can meet Claude on Twitter
And learn more about him on his website

6 comments:

ceebee308 said...

Absolutely brilliant interview questions and answers! :)

hagelrat said...

*grin* ace interrogation hun. :) And good answers.

Cat Connor said...

Claude: Loved your sportmanship in answering my questions!

Hagelrat: My sweet - schedule you for next Friday? :)

Karen from Mentor said...

"... I could just blurb my crap in. "

that must be one of those new fangled french phrases....

...giggling...just giggling...

msquick1 said...

And this comment will go around the world! As I am in Middle Tennessee! And the talent CatConner is in New Zealand!

This was a very lovely, although 'tame,' interrogation and quite enjoyable! Thanks!

Cat Connor said...

Look at that Msquick1 your comment made it to New Zealand!
Let's hope there aren't any earthquakes while you visit. :)
Glad you enjoyed the tame interrogation.

Cheers
Cat x

I see you...

Blog Archive